Best detox shampoo for hair follicle drug test
Hair Cleanse Detox Shampoos Overview
Do detox hair cleansers work effectively? Is there a hair product that removes drug metabolites for passing tests for common drugs?
Yes, and one specific shampoo, Ultra Clean by Zydot has been scientifically proven to reduce THC residues from the stores in your hair cuticles by 36%. And that’s just with a single wash! However, it needs to be used as part of a detox method if you want to remove all of the drug toxins so that you can test negative.
You should be aware that in some regions including a variety of U.S. states, it is illegal to detox before a hair test or any drug test for that matter. So be certain to do your research first and ensure that it’s not prohibited to use a hair detox approach in your area.
|Mega Clean + PreCleanse Pills||
How Hair Drug Tests work
When you get a hair drug test, they’ll first remove a hair sample, generally from the head area. In this case, they’ll only test the 1.5 inches of hair that are nearest your scalp. This sample will be sufficient to reveal your drug use for the prior 3 months.
Once the sample is taken, it’ll be added to a solvent so that the drug residues can be removed from the hair shafts and tested. A commonly used solvent for this process is methanol. Some brave souls have even put methanol in their hair in an effort to pass a test! You shouldn’t try this at home, however, since Methanol can be lethal if ingested. Whether it would even work is not confirmed because a scientific study has shown that methanol will preferentially only remove drug residues that have been deposited externally (i.e. contaminated via second-hand cannabis smoke, or with use of a drug user’s hair comb, etc.).
Methanol has actually been removed from various cosmetic products out of concern that an alcoholic will consume the product (e.g. if someone ingested hand sanitizer they might experience methanol poisoning).
Getting back to the hair test process, then the drugs can be picked up using a method such as a GC/MS or with antibody testing. It tends to take a few days before you get your results. So they’re not immediate like the results for a urine or saliva test. You’re gonna be left waiting around for a bit wondering whether you’ve used an effective detox method. Thankfully though, you can keep your worries to a minimum by choosing a proven detox method.
Probably the top detox method out there for your hair is Jerry G. This fundamentally involves bleaching and dyeing your hair twice. If you’ve taken this approach, you’ve done the most that you could, so don’t worry so much. We’ll also look at other methods in this article. These alternative approaches have been used by individuals who can’t bleach and dye their hair, for whatever reason.
Disclaimer: We don’t sell or promote the use of any method or product. We’re simply dispensing information with product reviews and explaining techniques that we’ve learned about through research ranging from the anecdotal to peer-reviewed science.
What Can A Hair Drug Test Detect?
A hair test can pick up on all of the main categories of illegal drugs although it can’t pick up on too many designer or alternative drugs. Drugs including Kratom and Spice might be detectable for tests at a place like a methadone clinic where they’re worried about the consumption of alternative or designer drugs which aren’t necessarily outlawed in specific jurisdictions. These two substances are however unlikely to be tested for at a hair drug test for employment.
You could be tested for any of these substances:
It tends to take approx. 7 days for drug residues to get into your hair. Then, there’s a full 3-month detection window for which they could be picked up by a test. However, you should not use any drugs on the day prior to your test since some drugs can actually make it into the hair shafts within 24 hours or less and of course any drug could contaminate your hairs from the outside.
How To Pass A Hair Drug Test
So, is it possible to beat a hair follicle test? In order to beat a test, the drug levels in your hair need to be kept or reduced below the cut off point for detection. Small quantities of drug toxins being detected may be the outcome of a mistake or external contamination, so they won’t be counted.
Any method which can remove drug residues from hair, therefore, has the potential to help you minimize drug contents in your hair below the cut off level.
A study from the International Journal of Legal Medicine titled “Effect of the shampoo Ultra Clean on drug concentrations in human hair” was published in 1997. This study involved hair samples being tested from cadavers who were known to use drugs. They separated the samples and washed one collection of hair with Ultra Clean. For each drug, the samples lost drug residues, “cocaine -5%, 6-MAM -9%, morphine -26%, THC -36%..”.
The largest decrease was with THC. However, not even that level of decrease will be sufficient to beat a test. Users employ this shampoo with the Macujo and Jerry G. methods to beat a hair test.
A 2019 study published by Drug Test and Analysis had a look at 4 different detox shampoos. 3 of the products had a performance no greater than that of ionized water. One product displayed strong effects whereby the use of the shampoo caused a “decrease of 73% ± 12% as compared with non-incubated hair following 8 hours.” As a result of the 8-hour experiment window, you’d basically need to add the shampoo to your hair, put a cap on and wear it throughout the day to get the same effect or just the shampoo with the Jerry G Method and leave it in for about 15 minutes before washing it out.
The following were tested:
- Kleen Deep Detox Shampoo
- Test Pass Detox Shampoo
- Folli-Cleanse High Voltage
- Ultra Cleanse Shampoo
The winner was High Voltage Detox Shampoo. It decreased alcohol metabolites enough to fool a drug test. We may assume it will decrease other drug metabolites.
A study in 1997 that was published in the Journal of Legal Medicine looked at the consequences of cosmetically treating hair on the ability of hair tests to pick up on drugs. They discovered bleaching and dyeing had a strong effect on reducing drug metabolites: “40%-60% (reduction) (cocaine, benzoylecgonine, codeine, 6-acetylmorphine, and THC-COOH). For morphine, the mean difference was higher than 60%, and two cases (THC and nicotine) differed by approx. 30%.” The reduction in drug metabolites didn’t depend on the type of cosmetic treatment but just how much damage was done to the hair. Therefore, expect to get some damage to the hair using a detox method, but not to the scalp. Protect your scalp and hairline.
A 2005 study in the Annales de Toxicologie Analytique found that cosmetic treatments containing ammonia or peroxide produced reductions in drug metabolites in the hair. Furthermore, hydrogen peroxide could change the structure of drugs like cocaine, amphetamine, and methamphetamine, making them undetectable, and technically not present, since it is now a chemical other than the one sought. Hydrogen peroxide also degraded benzodiazepines. This study also reproduced the slight decrease in drug metabolites with Ultra Clean. Not enough to pass a test, but with bleaching and dyeing added, a very high chance of a negative (which is what you want) result.
Africans and anyone with dark hair may be at a slight disadvantage as some of these drug metabolites cling to melanin for dear life. However, straightening of the hair, according to a 2014 study in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology produced profound reductions in cocaine metabolites in dark hair. They conclude “ only 5–30% of the original concentration remained in authentic drug hairs that had formerly tested positive for COC, BZE, and CE.” Use of a perm for straightening with or without lye produced enough damage to pass a drug test, and with a good detox shampoo like HIgh Voltage Folli-Cleen, the chances of passing are very high.
The Jerry G Method (A + rated): bleaching your hair to pass a hair follicle test
First, let’s clarify, there is no such thing as a hair follicle drug test. What is tested is the first 1.5 inches of hair shaft protruding from the follicles, it’s therefore technically a hair shaft drug test, but many people call it a hair follicle test.
The Jerry G Method is very simple. Just bleach and dye twice, ten days apart. We alter the official formula by substituting High Voltage Folli-Cleen for the Toxin Rid. It’s less expensive and it has scientific backing from the aforementioned study.
Here are the materials you need:
- 2 boxes of hair bleach and dye (your natural color) containing ammonia or peroxide (peroxide appears strongest)
- Two boxes of Ultra Clean Shampoo by Zydot
- Toxin Rid Shampoo or substitute High Voltage Folli-Cleanse or the second box of Ultra Clean
- Baking soda
- First, abstain from substance use. If you have a prescription for drugs like medical marijuana benzodiazepines or opioids like methadone, ask your doctor for an excuse or verification for your drug test. Now, some purposes for which you may take a drug test, for example for a truck driving job, will still disqualify you even if you have a prescription. You just have to find a line of work where you don’t have to operate heavy machinery. In any case, use no substances ten days out at least. On this 10th day out, you will bleach and dye your hair with your first hair dye kit. Make sure you apply all the ingredients to the hair closest to the scalp, they will only test the first 1.5 inches of hair.
- Now shampoo your hair with Aloe Rid, or better yet, High Voltage Folli-Cleanse.
- The day before your test, bleach, and dye again. Shampoo with High Voltage Folli-Cleanse.
- On the day of the test, put a baking soda and water paste into your hair for 15 minutes. Now shampoo with Ultra Clean from Zydot. You have a very good chance of passing a hair drug test. Make sure you don’t use any combs, brushes, pillows, or hats that touched the old hair to avoid recontamination. Also, fix your hair up as best you can before going in. If your hair looks too fried, they may opt to take an armpit or groin hair.
The Macujo Method
- Pink Clean and Clear acne wash
- Warm water
- Ultra Clean by Zydot shampoo
- Toxin rid shampoo with Aloe or High Voltage Folli-Cleanse
- Shower caps
- Pink Clean and Clear acne wash
- Pack of liquid Tide detergent or Passion Indulge Papain Shampoo
- Disposable Gloves
- First, work the vinegar in down to the roots.
- Now add the Pink clean and clear right on top of that. Leave it in for 30 minutes. This supposedly removes the layer of oil and breaks into the hair shaft.
- Wash it all out. Then shampoo with Toxin Rid or High Voltage Folli-Cleanse.
- Shampoo again. Rinse well.
- Now shampoo with a drop of Tide detergent. It contains proteases to break down proteins. If this is unfeasible, use Passion Indulge Papain shampoo, it also contains proteases aka as meat tenderizer, extracted from the papaya fruit.
- Shampoo with Ultra Clean.
- Do this 3 times the day before the test. Do it one time on test day.
Best detoxifying shampoos to remove drug residues from hair
Here we include a list of the best detox products to buy to remove drug residues from hair with:
- pros and cons
- Important ingredients
- How to use them
Zydot Ultra Clean: 5 out of 5, A+
- Our choice for best detox hair shampoo for THC and other drugs
- Most frequently purchased hair detox shampoo
- Pros: A scientific study showed a 36 % reduction in THC metabolites and smaller reductions for all over drugs studied.
- Cons: The reductions were not enough to pass a drug test alone.
- Important ingredient: Triethylamine. The alkaline ph of this ingredient is thought to be what is causing a reduction in drug metabolites. The shampoo also contains stearyl alcohol which may be a solvent that can dissolve drug metabolites.
- How to use them: Use Ultra Clean with the Macujo or Jerry G. Method.
High voltage Folli-Cleanse detox shampoo, 5 out of 5 A
Pros: This shampoo is the only one that alone reduced alcohol concentrations enough to pass a test.
Cons: Even though it reduced EtG enough to pass a test for alcohol, it did not reduce FREE, fatty acid ethyl esters, another sign of alcohol use enough to pass a test. This means the high detox effect of a 74 % reduction in EtG, an alcohol metabolite, might be unique and can’t be generalized to other drugs.
- Important ingredients: A paper on the subject of detox shampoos published as a dissertation by Ghent University Library states, “The alkaline triethylamine seemed to be primarily responsible for the substantial reduction in the EtG concentration in hair whereas the acidity of citric acid reduced the recovery of EtG within the sample preparation and experimental setup and thus disabled an accurate quantification of EtG. (Bekaert)” This lends credence to the instruction in the Jerry G Method to use baking soda paste at the very end.
Old style Aloe Rid and Nexxus Aloe Rid: 4.5 out of 5, B +
- Most popular drug detoxification hair shampoo
This is the most notorious detox shampoo, mainly because it costs $ 200 to $ 235 on sites like testclear.com This shampoo was first produced by Nexxus, which discontinued it. It’s now produced by test clear. It’s not clear why Nexxus discontinued it, but it could have something to do with the fact that it had become associated with drug users. Next to old bottles were sold for up to $ 300 by price gougers and those selling fake products. Finally, Testclear.com began selling the original formula and kept the price around $ 199.00 Still a lot for a shampoo.
- Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
- Thioctic (a-Liproic) Acid,
- Sodium Metabisulfite,
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate,
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate,
- Sodium Chloride,
- Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto) Extract,
- Propylene Glycol,
- Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate,
- Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil,
- Isopropyl Myristate,
- Hydroxypropyl Guar,
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins,
- Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil,
- FD&C Yellow #5 FD&C Blue #1,
- Disodium Oleamido MEA SulfoSuccinate,
- Disodium EDTA,
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine,
- Cocamide MEA,
- Cocamide DEA,
- arfum (Fragrance),
- Aqua (Deionized Water),
- Aloe Barbadensis Leave (Aloe Vera Gel) Juice,
It is theorized the active ingredients are propylene glycol or EDTA, a metal chelator. No studies have verified this. In the aforementioned study of 4 detox products, deionized water itself removed a small number of drug metabolites. Use this shampoo with the Macujo or Jerry G. method. The major upside is its popularity and history as being one of the first trusted detox shampoos of the current era of drug testing tools. The con is the price is prohibitive. It is one of the most expensive liquids sold to regular consumers.
Omni cleansing shampoo 4.7 out of 5, A
- Aluminum Lake.
- Blue No.1,
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine,
- ED&C Yellow No. 5, and
- Lauamide DEA,
- Methyl Paraben,
- Purified Water,
- Sodium Chloride,
- Tetrasodium EDTA,
- pros and cons
- Important ingredients
- How to use them
The active ingredient is likely triethanolamine. “TEOA or triethanolamine is a fairly strong base: a 1% solution has a pH of approximately 10.” How effective it is will depend on how it reacts with the other ingredients and one’s own hair. TEA is highly alkaline and this aspect is what is able to thwart drug tests.
Pro: This shampoo costs about 20 bucks and is available on sites like Walmart, Amazon, and eBay.
Cons: It does not have studies done on it which we have found, unlike High Voltage and Ultra Clean which each have studies showing some effectiveness.
All clear detox shampoo, rating unavailable
Pros: This shampoo appears to be aimed at masking drug residues. We are unable to find a list of ingredients. It is to be used as close to the drug test as possible.
Steps: First work the All Clear Shampoo into your hair down to the roots over the course of 3 minutes. Use the entire bottle. Rinse well. Now apply All Clear Purifying Gel, let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse out, but it’s okay if some is left behind. Style your hair without using additional hair care products. Drug residues may be masked for 5 hours.
Cons: We know of no scientific studies which suggest masking agents will work for hair drug tests.
Shampoo to pass hair follicle drug test reviews online
Clear Choice Hair Follicle Shampoo
- Cocamidopropyl betaine,
- Diazolidinyl urea,
- disodium 2 sulfolaurate,
- imidazolidinyl urea,
- sodium chloride menthol,
- Sodium methyl 2-sulfonate,
- sodium polystyrene sulfonate,
- tetrasodium EDTA
The active ingredient may be tetrasodium EDTA as far as removing drug residues. The remaining ingredients possibly mask drug use by interfering with the test. Phenoxyethanol may dissolve drug residues.
Pros: Masking might be easier than removing drug metabolites if this works.
Cons: It may cost about $ 75 for one application and it is therefore not cheap.
Instructions: As with the former shampoo, this is a two-step process likely aimed at removing drug residues, then repairing and masking. As close two your testing time as possible, work the shampoo into wet hair down to the roots over the course of 5 minutes. Rinse, then apply the purifier and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse, dry with a towel. Use all-new combs and no hair products between shampooing and your test.
Magnum detox shampoo
Magnum Detox Purifying shampoo is not highly rated online and also does not have a lot of information available on which to do an assessment. If you have had success or failure with it, leave a comment on the message boards for us to review.
Most Amazon reviewers did not like the product however, they likely used it alone instead of with a method like the Jerry G or Macujo Method. Most of these detox products will fail if used alone or with a single wash.
Stat detox shampoo, ration 2 of 5, D
Phenoxyethanol is a solvent that may be used to dissolve the drug metabolites. It also contains EDTA, two forms. These may get some toxins out of the hair.
Stat has both bad ratings and a bad review. The upside is it only costs about 18.29 USD. Follow instructions for shampooing. Use this with a detox method to get effects.
Dr. Greens Wash Away Shampoo, rating unavailable
Dr. Greens is another masking shampoo. Massage into hair for 10 minutes, then leave it in with a shower cap on for 15 to 30 minutes or more. Rinse. Use no old hair care instruments which may be contaminated with old hair until after your hair test. It claims to mask drugs for up to eight hours, meaning it won’t actually remove many drug residues but will mask them.
This shampoo is of little popularity, tell us if you have experience with it and what are your results.
The best shampoos for testing clean for weed and other drugs are High Voltage Folli-Cleanse and Ultra Clean by Zydot. These won’t run you nearly as much as Toxin Rid. Toxin Rid also does not appear to contain triethylamine or triethanolamine, both strong bases in the studied and verified detox shampoos. The best bet to pass a drug test is to use the Jerry G. Method with one of the top two detox shampoos. It will without any doubt remove lots of drug residues from your hair. Then only time will tell if it was enough to test negative, but it has been done routinely by some persons. It’s not legal to purchase or use a detox product in every jurisdiction so check your local laws before buying a detox product.
 “Technique Improves Use of Hair for Drug Tests | The Scientist ….” 15 May. 2019, https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/technique-improves-use-of-hair-for-drug-tests-65875. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
 “DETOX SHAMPOOS FOR ETHYL GLUCURONIDE IN HAIR ….” https://www.readkong.com/page/detox-shampoos-for-ethyl-glucuronide-in-hair-more-than-8522309. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
 “All Clear Hair Purifying @ Cleansing System – Amazon.com.” https://www.amazon.com/All-Clear-Purifying-Cleansing-System/product-reviews/B00WVQ4228?reviewerType=all_reviews. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
 “Magnum Detox Hair Purifying Shampoo : Beauty – Amazon.com.” https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Detox-Hair-Purifying-Shampoo/dp/B00WXF888Q. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
- 1 Hair Cleanse Detox Shampoos Overview
- 2 How Hair Drug Tests work
- 3 What Can A Hair Drug Test Detect?
- 4 How To Pass A Hair Drug Test
- 5 The Jerry G Method (A + rated): bleaching your hair to pass a hair follicle test
- 6 The Macujo Method
- 7 Best detoxifying shampoos to remove drug residues from hair
- 8 Shampoo to pass hair follicle drug test reviews online
- 9 Conclusion:
- 10 References