Best detox shampoo for hair follicle drug test
An Overview of Hair Cleanse Detox Shampoos
Many people ask this question time and again: are detox hair cleansers really effective? Is there a hair detox product that can eliminate the drug metabolites in your hair so that you can test negative for common drugs?
The answer to these questions is yes. One specific shampoo developed by Zydot Ultra Clean, called Ultra Clean, has been proven scientifically to be capable of reducing THC leftovers from your hair cuticles by as much as 36% — in just one wash. However, to enjoy its full advantage, you must use it as a part of a larger detox method.
Keep in mind that in some regions, including various U.S. states, it is illegal to detox before a hair test or any drug test for that matter. So be certain to do your research first and ensure that it’s not prohibited to use a hair detox approach in your area.
What Happens During a Hair Drug Test?
The first thing testers do is remove a hair sample, typically from your head, whenever you undertake a hair test. These lab testers will focus on the 1.5 inches of hair closest to your scalp, taking it as a sample. This 1.5-inch hair sample would be enough to unearth your history of drug use in the past three months.
|Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo + Zydot Ultra Clean||
|Zydot Ultra Clean Shampoo||
Once the sample is taken, it’ll be added to a solvent so that the drug residues can be removed from the hair shafts and tested. A commonly used solvent for this process is methanol. Some brave souls have even put methanol in their hair in an effort to pass a test! You shouldn’t try this at home, however, since Methanol can be lethal if ingested. Whether it would even work is not confirmed because a scientific study has shown that methanol will preferentially only remove drug residues that have been deposited externally (i.e. contaminated via second-hand cannabis smoke, or with use of a drug user’s hair comb, etc.).
Manufacturers have actually pulled out Methanol from some of their cosmetic products to prevent alcoholics from attempting to consume them (e.g. if someone ingested hand sanitizer they might experience methanol poisoning).
Getting back to the hair test process, then the drugs can be picked up using a method such as a GC/MS or with antibody testing. It does take a couple of days before you can get your results. So they’re not immediate like the results for a urine or saliva test. You’re gonna be left waiting around for a bit wondering whether you’ve used an effective detox method. Thankfully though, you don’t have to worry too much when you choose an actual time-tested detox method.
In all likelihood, your best bet for a hair detox method is Jerry G. This technique primarily involves a double hair bleach and dye. If you’ve taken this approach, you’ve done the most that you could, so don’t worry so much. We’ll also look at other methods in this article. These alternative approaches have been used by individuals who can’t bleach and dye their hair, for whatever reason.
Disclaimer: We don’t sell or promote the use of any method or product. We’re simply dispensing information with product reviews and explaining techniques that we’ve learned about through research ranging from the anecdotal to peer-reviewed science.
What do Hair Drug Tests Expose?
A hair test can pick up on all of the main categories of illegal drugs although it can’t pick up on too many designer or alternative drugs. Drugs including Kratom and Spice might be detectable for tests at a place like a methadone clinic where they’re worried about the consumption of alternative or designer drugs which aren’t necessarily outlawed in specific jurisdictions. These two particular drugs are highly unlikely to be tested for when you take an employment hair drug screening. These two compounds
You could be tested for any of these substances:
It tends to take approx. 7 days for drug residues to get into your hair. Then, there’s a full 3-month detection window for which they could be picked up by a test. However, you should not use any drugs on the day prior to your test since some drugs can actually make it into the hair shafts within 24 hours or less and of course any drug could contaminate your hairs from the outside.
How To Successfully Pass A Hair Drug Test
Going back to the big question, is passing a hair test achievable? Acing your upcoming hair test all comes down to successfully reducing your hair drug levels below the cut-off point for detection. Small quantities of drug toxins being detected may be the outcome of a mistake or external contamination, so they won’t be counted.
Any method which can erase drug remnants from your hair, therefore, has the potential to help you push hair drug content under the cut-off detection level.
The International Journal of Legal Medicine published a 1997 study entitled “Effect of The Shampoo Ultra Clean on Drug Concentrations in Human Hair.” This study involved experts testing hair samples from cadavers who were drug users. They divided the sample hairpieces and washed one collection of hair with Ultra Clean. The samples had a residue decrease for each drug, “cocaine -5%, 6-MAM -9%, morphine -26%, THC -36%..”.
The largest decrease was with THC. However, even such a level of decline is sufficient to beat a hair test. Users integrate this shampoo with both the Jerry G. and the Macujo techniques to beat a hair test.
A 2019 study published by Drug Test and Analysis had a look at 4 different detox shampoos. 3 of the products had a performance no greater than that of ionized water. One product displayed strong effects whereby the use of the shampoo caused a “decrease of 73% ± 12% as compared with non-incubated hair following 8 hours.” As a result of the 8-hour experiment window, you’d basically need to add the shampoo to your hair, put a cap on and wear it throughout the day to get the same effect or you can just shampoo along with the Jerry G Method and leave it lathered for 15 minutes before rinsing it all out.
The following were tested:
- Kleen Deep Detox Shampoo
- Test Pass Detox Shampoo
- Folli-Cleanse High Voltage
- Ultra Cleanse Shampoo
The test concluded that the Detox Folli-Cleanse from High Voltage was the most effective. It caused an alcohol metabolite decrease enough to deceive a drug test.
A 1997 scientific research published in the Journal of Legal Medicine examined the outcome of using cosmetic hair treatments to reduce the capacity of hair tests to detect drugs.
They discovered bleaching and dyeing had a strong effect on reducing drug metabolites: “40%-60% (reduction) (cocaine, benzoylecgonine, codeine, 6-acetylmorphine, and THC-COOH). For morphine, the mean difference was higher than 60%, and two cases (THC and nicotine) differed by approx. 30%.” The reduction in drug metabolites didn’t depend on the type of cosmetic treatment but just how much damage was done to the hair. Therefore, expect to get some damage to the hair using a detox method, but not to the scalp. Protect your scalp and hairline.
A 2005 study in the Annales de Toxicologie Analytique found that cosmetic treatments containing ammonia or peroxide produced reductions in drug metabolites in the hair. Furthermore, hydrogen peroxide could alter the composition of drugs like cocaine, amphetamine, and methamphetamine, making them undetectable, and technically not present, since it is now a chemical other than the one sought. Hydrogen peroxide also degraded benzodiazepines. This study also reproduced the slight decrease in drug metabolites with Ultra Clean. Not enough to pass a test, but with bleaching and dyeing added, a very high chance of a negative (which is what you want) result.
Africans and anyone with dark hair may be at a slight disadvantage as some of these drug metabolites hold on to melanin for dear life. However, according to a study conducted in 2014 in the Journal of Analytical Toxicology, hair straightening produced profound reductions in cocaine metabolites in dark hair. They concluded that “only 5–30% of the original concentration remained in authentic drug hairs that had formerly tested positive for COC, BZE, and CE.” Using a perm for hair straightening, even without lye, inflicts enough damage to help you test negative. But, by utilizing an efficient detox shampoo like High Voltage Folli-Cleanse, your chances of passing go even higher.
The Jerry G Method (A + rated): using bleach to pass a hair follicle test
Let’s first clarify that there is no such thing as a drug test for hair follicles. Whenever testers conduct a hair test, the sample they acquire is the 1.5-inch hair shaft that protrudes from the follicles. Therefore it is, technically speaking, a “hair shaft” drug test. But, despite the inaccurate use of the name, many people still stick to calling it a “hair follicle” test.
The Jerry G process is very simple. Just bleach and dye twice, ten days apart. We alter the official formula by substituting the High Voltage Folli-Cleanse for the Toxin Rid. It’s less expensive and it has scientific backing from the aforementioned study.
Here are the materials you need:
- Hair bleach and dye (your natural color) at two boxes each. They must contain either ammonia or peroxide (peroxide appears strongest)
- A pair of Zydot’s Ultra Clean Shampoo
- Toxin Rid Shampoo, but you can use High Voltage Folli-Cleanse or the second box of Ultra Clean
- Baking soda as well
- First, abstain from substance use. If you have a prescription for drugs like medical marijuana benzodiazepines or opioids like methadone, ask your doctor for an excuse or verification for your upcoming drug screening. Keep in mind that some purposes for taking a drug test (such as qualifying for a truck driving job) will still disqualify you even if you have a prescription. You just have to find a line of work where you don’t have to operate heavy machinery. In any case, use no substances ten days out at least. On this 10th day out, you will bleach and dye your hair with your first hair dye equipment. Ensure that you apply all the ingredients to the hair closest to the scalp since testers will only take the first 1.5 inches of hair as a test sample.
- After you finish bleaching and dyeing your hair, lather it with Aloe Toxin Rid, or better yet, make use of the High Voltage Detox Folli-Cleanse instead.
- Redo the bleaching and dyeing step one last time right before the day of your drug test. Afterward, shampoo and wash using High Voltage Folli-Cleanse.
- On test day, place baking soda and water paste into your hair for 15 minutes before shampooing using Ultra Clean by Zydot. This provides you with the highest possible chance of having a negative test result. Just ensure you don’t use any combs, brushes, pillows, or hats that touched the old hair to avoid recontamination. Also, fix your hair up as best you can before going in. If your hair looks too fried, they may opt to take an armpit or groin hair.
The Macujo Method
- Clean and Clear acne wash (the pink one)
- Warm water
- Zydot’s Ultra Clean Shampoo
- Aloe Toxin Rid Shampoo or High Voltage Folli-Cleanse
- Shower caps
- Either a pack of liquid detergent (preferably Tide) or a bottle of Passion Indulge Papain Shampoo
- Disposable Gloves
Steps to Take
- First, spread the vinegar thoroughly to your hair down the roots.
- Now apply the pink-colored Clean and Clear right on top of that. Leave it in for 30 minutes. This supposedly removes the layer of oil and breaks into the hair shaft.
- Wash it all out thoroughly. Then, shampoo with either an Aloe Toxin Rid or a High Voltage Folli-Cleanse.
- Shampoo again for the second time, then rinse thoroughly.
- After washing away your detox shampoo entirely, shampoo with a drop of Tide detergent. This essential Majuco ingredient carries proteases which breaks down proteins. If this is unfeasible, replace it with a Passion Indulge Papain shampoo. This shampoo product also contains proteases, aka as meat tenderizer, extracted from the papaya fruit.
- Shampoo with Ultra Clean.
- Repeat this thrice on the day prior and on test day itself.
Best detoxifying shampoos to remove drug residues from hair
Here is a list of the leading detox products you can buy to do away with your hair drug residues. We’ll also go through:
- pros and cons
- Important ingredients
- How to use them
Zydot’s Ultra Clean Shampoo: 5 out of 5, A+
- Our choice for the finest detox hair shampoo for THC and other drug compounds.
- Most frequently purchased hair detox shampoo.
- Pros: A scientific study showed a reduction of 36 % in THC metabolites along with smaller reductions for all over drugs studied.
- Cons: The reductions were not enough to result negative, at least not in itself.
- Essential ingredient: Triethylamine. The alkaline ph of this ingredient is thought to be what is causing a reduction in drug metabolites. The shampoo also contains stearyl alcohol which may be a solvent that can dissolve drug substances.
- How to use them: Use Ultra Clean with the Macujo or Jerry G. Method.
High voltage Folli-Cleanse detox shampoo: 5 out of 5 A
Pros: This detox shampoo product alone can cause a reduction of alcohol concentrations which is enough to beat a hair test.
Cons: Even though it causes an EtG reduction enough to fool an alcohol test, it couldn’t reduce FREE, fatty acid ethyl esters – another indicator of alcohol use. This means the high detox effect of a 74 % reduction in EtG, an alcohol metabolite, might be unique and can’t be generalized to other drugs.
- Important ingredients: A paper on the subject of detox shampoos published as a dissertation by Ghent University Library states that “The alkaline triethylamine seemed to be primarily responsible for the substantial reduction in the EtG concentration in hair whereas the acidity of citric acid reduced the recovery of EtG within the sample preparation and experimental setup and thus disabled an accurate quantification of EtG. (Bekaert)” This lends credence to the instruction followed in the Jerry G technique to use baking soda paste at the very end.
Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid and Nexxus Aloe Rid Clarifying Shampoo: 4.5 out of 5, B +
- Most popular drug detoxification hair shampoo
This brand gained notoriety due to the fact that it fetched $200 to $235 on online stores like testclear.com Nexxus initially produced this shampoo product but, at some point, discontinued it. Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid is now being produced and sold by test clear. It’s not clear why Nexxus discontinued it, but it could have something to do with the fact that it had become associated with drug users. Older bottles were bartered for up to $300 by price gougers and those selling fake products. Finally, Testclear.com started selling the original formula of Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid and kept the price around $ 199.00 Still a lot for a shampoo.
- Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
- Thioctic (a-Liproic) Acid
- Sodium Metabisulfite
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium Chloride
- Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto) Extract
- Propylene Glycol
- Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate
- Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil
- Isopropyl Myristate
- Hydroxypropyl Guar
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins
- Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil
- FD&C Yellow #5 FD&C Blue #1
- Disodium Oleamido MEA SulfoSuccinate
- Disodium EDTA
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Cocamide MEA
- Cocamide DEA
- Arfum (Fragrance)
- Aqua (Deionized Water)
- Aloe Barbadensis Leave (Aloe Vera Gel) Juice
It is theorized that active ingredients are: either propylene glycol or EDTA, which are metal chelators. No studies have verified this. In the aforementioned study of 4 detox products, deionized water itself removed a tiny amount of drug metabolites. Use this shampoo alongside the Jerry G. or the Macujo methods. The major upside is its popularity and history as being one of the first trusted detox shampoos of the current era of drug testing tools. The con is the price is prohibitive. It is one of the most expensive liquids sold to regular consumers.
Omni cleansing shampoo: 4.7 out of 5, A
- Aluminum Lake
- Blue No.1
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- ED&C Yellow No. 5
- Lauamide DEA
- Methyl Paraben
- Purified Water
- Sodium Chloride
- Tetrasodium EDTA
The active ingredient is likely triethanolamine. “TEOA or triethanolamine is a fairly strong base: a 1% solution has a pH of approximately 10.” How effective it is will depend on how it reacts with the other ingredients and one’s own hair. TEA is highly alkaline and this aspect is what is able to thwart drug tests.
Pro: This shampoo costs about 20 bucks and is available on sites like Walmart, Amazon, and eBay.
Cons: It does not have studies done on it, which we have found, unlike High Voltage and Ultra Clean, which have studies showing some success and efficacy.
All clear detox shampoo: rating unavailable
Pros: This shampoo appears to be aimed at masking drug residues. We are unable to find a list of ingredients. It is to be used as close to the drug test as possible.
Steps: Firstly, disperse the All Clear Shampoo into your hair all the way to the roots for 3 minutes. Make sure to empty the entire bottle before rinsing well. Now apply the All Clear Purifying Gel in your hair, letting it sit there for 15 minutes. Wash it away, though it’s okay if some are left behind. Style your hair but steer clear of hair care products. Drug residues may be masked for 5 hours.
Cons: We know of no scientific studies which suggest masking agents will be successful for hair drug tests.
Online reviews for shampoos used to successfully pass a hair follicle drug test
Clear Choice Hair Follicle Shampoo
- Cocamidopropyl betaine
- Diazolidinyl urea
- Disodium 2 sulfolaurate
- Imidazolidinyl urea
- Sodium chloride menthol
- Sodium methyl 2-sulfonate
- Sodium polystyrene sulfonate
- Tetrasodium EDTA
The active ingredient may be tetrasodium EDTA as far as removing drug residues is concerned. The remaining ingredients possibly mask drug use by interfering with the test. Phenoxyethanol may break down drug remainders.
Pros: Masking might be easier than removing drug metabolites if this works.
Cons: It may cost about $ 75 for one application and it is therefore not cheap.
Instructions: As with the former shampoo, this is a two-step process likely aimed at removing drug residues, then repairing and masking. As close two your testing time as possible, work the shampoo into wet hair, applying it all the way down to the roots for 5 minutes. Rinse, then apply the purifier and let it stay in your hair for about 15 minutes. Rinse it over, then dry with a towel. Use uncontaminated, brand-new combs and no hair products between shampooing and your test.
Magnum detox shampoo
Magnum Detox’s Hair Purifying Shampoo is not highly rated online and also does not have a lot of information available on which to do an assessment. If you have had success or failure with it, leave a comment on the message boards for us to review.
Most Amazon reviewers did not like the product however, they likely used it alone instead of using it hand in hand with a method like the Jerry G or Macujo. Most of these detox products will fail if used alone or with a single wash.
Stat detox shampoo: ration 2 of 5, D
Phenoxyethanol is a solvent that may be used to dissolve the drug metabolites. It also contains EDTA, two forms. These may get some toxins out of the hair.
Stat has both bad ratings and a bad review. The upside is it only costs about 18.29 USD. Follow instructions for shampooing. Use this with a detox method to get effects.
Wash Away Shampoo by Doctor Greens: no available rating
Dr. Greens’s Wash Away is yet another masking shampoo. Do a 10-minute massage on your hair using it, then leave it there with a shower cap on for 15 – 30 minutes before you rinse it out. Use no old hair care instruments which may have old hair contaminants until after your hair test. It claims to mask drugs for up to eight hours, meaning it won’t actually remove many drug residues but will mask them.
This shampoo is of little popularity, tell us if you have experience with it and what are your results.
The ideal shampoos for ensuring a clean test result for weed and other substances are none other than High Voltage’s Detox Folli-Cleanse and Zydot’s Ultra Clean. These won’t run you nearly as much as Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid. This brand also doesn’t contain triethylamine or triethanolamine, the two strong bases found in the studied detox shampoos. Your best shot for successfully acing a drug test is to employ the Jerry G. Method while using one of the top two detox shampoos. It will undoubtedly eliminate a significant portion of drug residues from your hair. After that, only time will tell if that’s enough for you to test negative. While there’s never a 100% guarantee, people use this method and products all the time and have seen good results. It’s not legal to purchase or use a detox product in some jurisdictions, so don’t forget to check in with the regulations of your region before you go ahead and buy yourself a detox product.
 “Technique Improves Use of Hair for Drug Tests | The Scientist ….” 15 May. 2019, https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/technique-improves-use-of-hair-for-drug-tests-65875. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
 “DETOX SHAMPOOS FOR ETHYL GLUCURONIDE IN HAIR ….” https://www.readkong.com/page/detox-shampoos-for-ethyl-glucuronide-in-hair-more-than-8522309. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
 “All Clear Hair Purifying @ Cleansing System – Amazon.com.” https://www.amazon.com/All-Clear-Purifying-Cleansing-System/product-reviews/B00WVQ4228?reviewerType=all_reviews. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
 “Magnum Detox Hair Purifying Shampoo : Beauty – Amazon.com.” https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Detox-Hair-Purifying-Shampoo/dp/B00WXF888Q. Accessed 28 Aug. 2020.
- 1 An Overview of Hair Cleanse Detox Shampoos
- 2 What Happens During a Hair Drug Test?
- 3 What do Hair Drug Tests Expose?
- 4 How To Successfully Pass A Hair Drug Test
- 5 The Jerry G Method (A + rated): using bleach to pass a hair follicle test
- 6 The Macujo Method
- 7 Best detoxifying shampoos to remove drug residues from hair
- 8 Online reviews for shampoos used to successfully pass a hair follicle drug test
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 References